Note: Please follow these instructions for creating BOTH NGP and VAN credentials. If you are planning to use our NGPVAN jobs for both NGP and VAN, you will need to use these instructions to create a separate credential for each.
To add a VAN credential to Civis, you'll need:
- A VAN API key that's compatible with v3 of their API.
- Your VAN committee ID.
- Knowledge of whether the API key is compatible with MyVoters, MyCampaign, or both.
Getting an API Key from VAN
Create a Support Request in VAN asking for an API key to be generated for use in Civis Platform. Make sure to specify whether you want the API key to work with MyCampaign, MyVoters, or both. If you are using the NGPVAN: Import Saved Lists job, you'll need to specify in your request to VAN that you'll need an API key with permissions to export from VAN to Civis.
Your Committee ID
If you don't know your committee ID, you can create a support request in VAN and ask that they let you know what it is.
Adding the Credential to Civis
Add the credential to Civis. Go to the New Credential page and fill out the page as follows:
- Name - Whatever you'd like. We'd recommend indicating NGP or VAN, and the state if you have more than 1.
- Credential Type - "Custom"
- Username - The committee ID.
- Password - The API key.
- Description - You can leave this blank.
- Owner - This will automatically populate with your Civis username.
- Remote Host - Please leave this field blank.
Note: You will need to create a credentials per state.